Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Discussion #4: Visualizing and Inferring

Discussion #4: Visualizing and Inferring

Goudvis and Harvey stated that visualized and inferring are closely related. They said that, "When we visualize, we are in fact inferring, but with mental images rather than words and thoughts.  Visualizing and inferring don't occur in isolation.  Strategies interweave.  Inferring involves merging background knowledge with text clues to come up with an idea that is not explicitly stated in the text."  This basically means that students read between the lines. 

Recently, I started using the word "visualizing" in my classroom.  I told my kindergarteners that when you visualize, you are making a move in your head.  I began reading the Junie B. Jones series to my students to practice many comprehension strategies.  In the chapter book, there are very few pictures so students have to create their own mental images of the story. 

I am very curious to try the strategy in this text called Visualizing with Wordless Picture Books.  I have many wordless picture books in my collection, but I did not know how to incorporate them into my instruction with kindergarteners.  After students and I looked at the pictures, I would have the students draw, write, and then talk about their visualization.

I would also like to try the strategy called Inferring Feelings.  In this activity, a student has a feeling card on his or her back.  The students read the card, and have to give him/her clues as to what the feeling is without using the word.  For example, "My sister hit me with a golf club.  My dog died. My dad didn't let me go to the movies."  After students have shared their clues, the student with the picture card has to share the feeling and explain how he/she figured it out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment