Thursday, March 21, 2013

Guided Reading


"Guided reading is most often defined as meeting with a small group of students and supporting them through a manageable text. Students are grouped with others at a similar reading level and supported to use effective reading strategies." -Regie Routman 

During Guided Reading, the teacher builds on what students know and then helps move them forward. 

In my classroom we have Guided Reading and Literacy Centers for an hour every day. During this time I meet with 4 groups for 15 minutes. When rotating centers, my guided reading group knows that they need to immediately start reading their book from yesterday. While they are doing this, I am watching to make sure that everyone is transitioning well. When I get to my table, students finish their reading and return their old books. This has really helped with management.

Guided Reading begins by setting a purpose for the session. The students look at the cover and pictures and make predictions about what the text is going to be about. After we make our predictions, we either choral read, echo read, or silent read (highest group). While they are reading, I am listening to make sure the text is appropriate and that they are reading fluently. Afterwards, we discuss the text and review our predictions and understanding. Our books are very short so I always have the students reread the text with a buddy. Then I allow them to bring the books home.

While I am working with my Guided Reading group, the other students are involved in meaningful literacy centers. Some of the centers include independent reading in our classroom library, Ticket to Reading on the computer which focuses on phonics and fluency, writing, and word work games. Many of the word work games have the students using the Mimio. 

No comments:

Post a Comment