Thursday, March 21, 2013

Sharing Your Teaching Life



Throughout the entire chapter, the author was trying to help the reader (teachers) to examine their own reading life and how to make that life noticeable to their students.  She suggests asking students why they think they are expected to read so much in school.  She says she does this in all of her groups, and the answers are almost always the same.  They usually say, “It makes you smarter,” “you learn more words,” “you’ll do better the next grade,” “you can move onto harder books,” and “to learn more.”  Very few students speak about the fact that reading can be enjoyable and fun.  She strives to let her students know that she has to read; deep down she has to read.  She loves owning books and having a library and just everything about reading.  She is always reading more than one book at a time, and she knows what she is going to read next.  The author says that telling your students these things helps to allow students to see themselves as readers.  She tries to share her own good reading habits in the hope that it will inspire them.   

She also suggests:

  • Talking about the importance of reading different genres
  • Talking about your favorite authors and books
  • Teaching your students to keep records of what they read. 


The author spoke on the power of students keeping their records of what they have read, and have the duty on the student, not the teacher or the parent.  This helps students to see what kinds of genres they have read and to help them to choose new books.  

I would like to try to bring in more books that I have read to show them that I am a reader outside of school, and not just reading what is in their curriculum.  I can do a better job of showing them the wide range of things that I read in order to find item for school and what I read for pleasure.  I would like to have my students begin keeping a record of their reading that I do not check- it could one that they have for their own personal records.

Recently, I started using Shelfari and Goodreads. Both online tools allow readers to keep track of books they are reading, books they have read, and books that they want to read. These books are them beautifully displayed on a bookshelf that the reader designs. Based on the reader's shelf, the website recommends books that they think the reader will love. These would be two neat tools to use with my students.By sharing my reading life, I am telling my students that reading is important to me and that I enjoy reading.  



Shelfari






Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment